As a parent or carer of a child with a disability you may need to consider adaptation to your home, or even moving to more suitable housing.

Your local authority has a duty under the Social Work (Scotland) Act 1968 to assess your community care needs. If you have a housing need, social work services should work with the local housing department or Registered Social Landlords in your area to meet your needs. You may require an assessment by an Occupational Therapist (OT) who can look at the needs of your household and advise on useful equipment, such as ramps, grab rails or a bath hoist, and recommend housing adaptations such as a wet room.

Your Occupational Therapist (OT) will help you to consider your child’s changing needs as they grow older.

City of Edinburgh Council

Edindex is a partnership between the Council and 20 Housing Associations/Co-operatives in Edinburgh. By completing one application form you can access available social housing in Edinburgh, including sheltered and amenity housing.

City of Edinburgh Council
Council Headquarters
City Chambers
High Street
Edinburgh EH1 1YJ
Tel: 0131 200 2000

Edindex Team
C.3 Waverley Court
4 East Market Street
Edinburgh EH8 8BG
Tel: 0131 529 5080

Glasgow City Council

Glasgow City Council’s housing stock was transferred to the Glasgow Housing Association Ltd. The council, although it no longer owns housing stock still has important duties and responsibilities to discharge across all housing sectors within the city.

Glasgow City Council
Housing Investment, Development and Regeneration Services
Exchange House
229 George Street
Glasgow G1 1QU
Tel: 0141 287 8672

Glasgow Housing Association
173 Trongate
Glasgow G1 5HF
Tel: 0141 274 6460

Fife Council

Fife Council has a range of housing options for people looking to rent a council home, from flats, to houses, sheltered housing, adapted housing for disabled people and emergency housing for people in a crisis. Fife Council and Fife’s Housing Associations work in partnership. The Fife Housing Register has a single way to access housing in the social rented sector – that is you only need to fill in one form.

Fife Council
Forth House
Abbotshall Road
Kirkcaldy, KY1 1RU
Tel: 08451 55 00 33